Cool weather is here, and it is time to ladle up those bowls with soul warming comfort food. This homemade soup recipe is filled with healthy ingredients and fantastic flavors. When I go to restaurants and order vegetable soup, I am usually disappointed. I think this soup is a “wow” plus it is super easy to make. I have had large groups of ladies over for lunch and served this homemade vegetable ground beef soup along with salad; always a crowd-pleaser. It is even tastier the next day as the flavors blend.
Vegetable Ground Beef Soup
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
1 large potato, diced
4 cups water
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon crushed basil
1 Tbs. Tony Chachere seasoning (I like a little kick)
1/4 tsp thyme
1 Tbs parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
2 small cans cut green beans, drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen lima beans
1/4 cup pearl barley
2 cloves crushed garlic (added at the end of cooking time)
1 Sauté beef in skillet until browned. Drain.
2 Add the beef, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrots, cabbage, and water in a large pot and boil until cabbage is tender (about 10 minutes).
3 Add the rest of the ingredients except garlic.
4 Add water till you have 2 inches of water above the solid part of the soup.
5 Bring to a boil and then turn heat down and simmer covered about 35 minutes. When I have 10 minutes left on the timer, I add 2 cloves crushed garlic.
This scrumptious recipe is from my heavenbound homemaker friend, Liberty Baehr who says, “We would roll Granny Vigurie’s wheelchair into the kitchen, and she would teach us how to cook. My baby, Jeffrey was on her lap. This is Granny’s dish which goes well with sweet potato casserole plus macaroni and cheese; our favorite fall/winter side dish.”
Granny Vigurie’s Green Bean & Artichoke Casserole
- 4 cans cut green beans, drained
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- ½ cup artichoke “juice” / water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ cups Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp granulated garlic / 4 toes garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix first 8 ingredients together.
- Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- Bake for 30 min.
My husband thinks I make better crawfish etoufee than any restaurant, and he is a picky eater. Springtime is when you can find fresh Louisiana crawfish. Other times of the year, I purchase frozen shrimp for my etouffee. The trick to cooking a great pot of etouffee is the roux. When stirring the roux, you cannot stop for even half a second, or it will burn. If you notice black specks, it must be thrown out. Some people use a whisk, but I use a stainless steel turner for the roux. Crawfish or shrimp etouffee is one of our favorite Louisiana cajun dishes!
Crawfish or Shrimp Etouffee Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 1½ cups celery (chopped)
- 1 cup bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 can golden mushroom soup
- 2 cups water (or more~it will thicken when refrigerated)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. Tony Chachere’s seasoning (or to taste~I use more)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 2 lbs. crawfish or shrimp
- 3 tbs. green onions (diced for garnish)
- Roux~Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook until the roux is medium color (darker than peanut butter), about 10 or more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté until soft, about 12 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the golden mushroom soup, water, bay leaves, seasonings and blend.
- Add the crawfish or shrimp. Reduce the heat to medium. Stirring occasionally, cook about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve over cooked rice. Garnish with green onions. Better when flavors blend overnight. Cool down before refrigerating.
Recipe submitted by: Melinda Denison, our heaven bound homemaker daughter. “Chicken Fruit Wraps are a healthy and delicious recipe Jeremy and I enjoy for lunch. In fact, I made this for lunch today. Tasty!”
Chicken Fruit Wrap
1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped Fuji apple
1/4 cup black or red grapes
2 tablespoons Crunchy Peanut Butter
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 teaspoons honey
Iceberg lettuce (or whole wheat pita bread)
- Mix chopped chicken, meat and fruit in bowl.
- Mix in peanut butter, yogurt and honey.
- Spoon into open lettuce leaf, roll and serve.
My heaven bound homemaker friend, Liberty Baehr and her husband served as missionaries in Ghana, Africa. Liberty is also blessed with a large family.
Liberty’s quiche recipes and the photos she took caught my attention. For her family, Liberty made a total of 4 quiches; 2 spinach quiches and 2 broccoli quiches.
The ingredients listed below are enough for 2 quiches.
2 Spinach Quiches /or 2 Broccoli Quiches
1-2 Cups Spinach /or 1-2 cups broccoli
2 1/2 Cups milk
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 Cup bacon bits / corned beef (opt)
1 1/4 Cup cheese, grated
2 Deep dish pie pastries (or make your own 🙂
- Steam broccoli / spinach (cut small) for 5-10 min / or use leftovers (broccoli doesn’t have to be unfrozen)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, thyme, & whisk / beat well.
- Spread veggies on bottom of pie pans.
- Sprinkle evenly with bacon bits & cheese & salt.
- Pour mixture into pans.
- Bake for 30-40 min. (until set & golden brown around edges)