I have a baby book for each of our children. I brag about their tiny footprints, their cute little baby pictures, and their adorable toddler and childhood photos. In each baby book I have recorded their milestones; their “firsts.”
- First time baby slept through the night (I really loved this one)
- First smile (I loved this one too)
- First laugh (and this one too…well, I loved all the firsts)
- First time to sit up
- First word
- First tooth
- First crawl
- First food
- First step
- First birthday
I also recorded special moments that were dear to my heart and special hopes and prayers for our children in their detailed baby books. Each child brought so much joy to my heart. Kids say the most adorable things. I recorded many of those cutesy things they said in their baby book, and would get their books out and read to them when they were older. Back in the day, we had a tape recorder. We were playing the tape recorder when our toddler son, Brandon, put his ear close to the tape recorder and said in baby talk, “There’s people in there.” 🙂
Mothers love bragging, I mean, talking about their children to others. And…unless you have time on your hands, you don’t want to ask a Grandmother about her grandchildren. Grandma’s are so proud of their grandchildren and may even bring out Grandma’s Brag Book to show you their pictures and brag on them.
I started wondering if God has a Brag Book on His children. You know, God bragged on Job, so He just might have a brag book on his faithful children. In the Bible, this is God bragging: “Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?” (Job 2:3) To me, this sounds like God is bragging.
Look at Psalm 139:14,15: God was bragging on each of us as He created us. Picture God creating you as He says, “You are:
- “fearfully made” which shows the extreme value God places on your
- “wonderfully made” which proves your uniqueness.
- “curiously wrought in the womb” which in the Hebrew means needlepoint and embroidery, demonstrating God’s attention given to every detail of your being. Isn’t that exciting?
God took intricate measures to create each one of us within the womb with utmost delicate care. Because the Bible says so, we know God wrote these details of creating each of us in a book just like a proud parent does. “And in thy book all my members were written…were fashioned.” (Psalm 189:16) God is our Abba Father, our Daddy, our Creator. Verse 17 says His thoughts toward each of us are precious and more than the grains of sand.
If God has a Brag Book about His faithful children, I believe He enjoys:
- Remembering our Spiritual “Born Again” Birthday. I know my name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life and your name is too if you have trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour. You and I came to the Lord in childlike faith trusting Him to save us. I do know for a fact there is a celebration that goes on in heaven when a person is saved. It’s a Born Again Party! “I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth.” (Luke 15:7) I like to picture the day of my salvation and how all heaven rejoiced.
- Remembering those steps of faith we took that seemed like the impossible. Then how we rejoiced in thanksgiving when we saw God work it out for good. (Romans 8:28,29)
- Remembering how we, like little children, felt helpless and put our entire trust in Him. Remembering how the going got difficult, but we trusted God to keep us going. (Proverbs 3:5,6) Like a loving Father, He carried us!
- Remembering how we never quit on God, but kept doing what we knew pleased Him. (Galatians 6:9)
- Remembering all of the Daily Quiet Times where we were alone in the presence of the Lord being fed like a baby desiring nourishment from His Word.
- Remembering how we often cried out to the Lord like a child needing help in our sweet time of prayer. Remembering how thankful we were with His incredible answers to our prayers.
- Remembering how we daily totally surrendered and said, “Take my life and let it be consecrated, LORD to Thee.”
- Remembering how we obeyed and shared the plan of salvation to others~ Remembering our beautiful feet. (Romans 10:15)
- Remembering how we gave to others and served in the name of Jesus.
- Remembering how we encouraged others and used our talents for the Lord.
- Remembering how we diligently did the will of God and how we sought to please God with our lives.
I think God would have these precious thoughts about you and me recorded in His Brag Book. I can picture our Abba Father taking His Brag Book out and saying of you and me, “Look at my faithful servant…”
“Heavenly Father, if You have a Brag Book, I want to be in it. I desire to live to make You smile.”
“Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.” Malachi 3:16